|Homes Around the World||Homes through the Ages|
|Inside the House||Test your Knowledge|
Why we need houses
We need houses for many different reasons. People all over the world need houses for the same reasons.These reasons are:
1. Shelter- from the weather
2. Protection- from weather, from other people(houses provide people with privacy)
3. Comfort - homes contain things which make life more comfortable for people such as beds, sofas,tvs etc.
4. Warmth- In the winter or at night homes provide us with heat and warmth
Reasons for Different Styles of Houses
Although people need houses for the same reasons people have different styles or types of houses.There are many different reasons why people have different houses.
1. Climate- eg.Wet climate- need sloping roofs for rain to flow off
Cold climate- double glazed windows to keep the heat in.
Hot climate- white washed to keep it cool
2. Location- eg Near a river- some homes are built on stilts to prevent flooding
In a city- people usually live in apartments due to the lack of space
3. Natural resources-eg- In the Arctic circle snow is plentiful so some homes are made from snow eg igloos
In forested areas homes are made from wood
4. The number of people living in the home will also effect the type of home
5. Wealth will also effect the style of house people can afford